While we encourage everyone to consider adopting either a dog or a cat (or both), today we will focus on our top 10 reasons to adopt a cat. Cats make wonderful pets and are a fantastic addition to any family. It’s true that every cat is unique, however, there are many similarities that we’ll focus on in this top 10 list.
- Soothing Purrs– there is nothing more soothing than a cat in your lap purring away. Most cats love attention (usually on their terms) and when given a great neck rub or head scratch will enthusiastically purr. Purring is not only comforting for cats, it can ease anxieties in people.
- Eye Contact– cats love to make eye contact and when content, will squint lovingly at you. Knowing that your cat loves you warms the heart.
- Play Time– cats are natural predators and love it when you play with them. Things as simple as strings and feathers on a stick can keep your cat active and playful for long stretches of time. This not only helps stimulate your cat but also gets us humans moving which is good for our health.
- Hunting Time– as a result of being natural predators, you’ll reduce your need for an exterminator. Cats are great at keeping pests like mice and other rodents out of your home.
- Affection Time– cats love to rub up against the people they love. Many cats will do what is called bunting where they will give head and nose butts. This is the highest form of affection that a cat will provide.
- Independence– while we would love to be with our cats all the time, we can’t be home all day due to work and other ‘out-of-the-home’ needs. The good news here is that cats can be left alone for hours at a time with only the requirement of a food, water, and litter source.
- Entertainment– cats can be truly hilarious. From their dances, random leaps and fascination with the littlest things, they keep us laughing (which is good for the soul). If you don’t believe us, just search Youtube for funny cat videos.
- Cleanliness– cats are meticulous about keeping themselves clean. From their litter box usage to the regular grooming they will do to themselves and other cats (if you have more than one).
- Alarm Clocks– cats make great alarm clocks. They will keep you on a regular program of waking up at the same time and keeping you on schedule.
- Happiness– just think of the happiness you will have knowing that you saved the life of a living being and the joy of making a loving home for a cat. There are so many shelter cats looking for a family and you could be just that family.
So, what do you think… is a cat in your future? We could have easily listed another 10 reasons why adopting a cat would benefit both you and a needy feline. Cats make great family members and provide the love that we all need. Check out your local animal shelter and even if you’re not ready to adopt yet, help by volunteering or donating.